The Plan was Changed "Meeting Students @Banyuwangi"



Because of some misunderstanding I arrive the University when there has been Exam Break. There are lot of students but either all the classroom are full or students are out. So, they are coming to faculty just for the exam. 

While I was in the faculty backyard, I was introduced vice Rector (Rector III) Prof. Dr. Mochammad Amin Alamsjah and we have a nice conservation with him and the Dean of Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Prof. Dr. Mirni. They are always so kind and always trying to do their best.  I asked them any possibilities to give some lecture the week i arrived, they said unfortunately not. But suddenly, Prof. Mochammad asked me if I want to go other campus of UniAir and give some lecture to Aquaculture Department there... I was surprised... I asked how far it is. They said nearby Bali Island, Banyuwangi City, you fly there , takes 1 hour fly. I said why not, while staying here and doing nothing I go there and meet other aquaculture students.Prof. Mirni also kindly request from me to give another lecture to young lecturers there on “how to write a manuscript”.

It took 5 minutes for them to book my (and my mentor Mr Muhamad's) round trip flight tickets and hotel. I was again surprised. That would take some weeks in my university unfortunately.  I realized that they give more attention and importance foreigner lecturer because of their helps, talks, lecture, contribution to University. 

Wednesday morning I unfortunately couldn't slept (again) because we had flight at 5:50 am, so we had to pick up taxi at 3:00 am and i have been still in 4 hours JetLag.

Mr. Muhamad and I went to airport and had breakfast there, then we flew to Banyuwangi. When we arrived, the young lecturers from the department Aquaculture.  They took us to breakfast. We had eat soup there. When we arrived to department, the coordinator of C campus Prof. Suryanto meet us. We had a nice chat while the classroom were preparing. They asked me to go for classroom.

When we arrived to classroom, nearly 50 students were sitting in the classroom with all the lecturers. One of the students presented and introduced me after the national Anthem and University Song were sang all together.

Then a little bit ice breaking speech I started to explain them how the Aquaculture is going in Turkey and in Europe. They were very interested and they have listened me breathless… When I finished my lecture, they applauded me.
I received several questions from them, how is the tuna culture happens, how the quality of fish are checked after harvest, any certification program is applied, if we have produce microalgae for bream and bass culture, how is the deformity of the cultured fish. Very nice questions they have asked me I am shocked. Their knowledge is very good and most of them knows good English.

After the first lecture was finished, Prof Suryanto gave me a Token of university which was honored me. They are always so kind and respect. Calling me always Dr or Sir which is very strange because we do not use these titles in my country or in Europe.
We went a nice restaurant which is in the jungle with a nice view of nature. There we had lunch, I asked Fried Groumi Fish. I knew that fish as an ornamental fish but there is they eat it.


After the lunch we back to department and start to talk with other lecturers on how to prepare a good manuscript. Of course everybody has different experience and they also have some good published papers I know. So it was more exchange experience meeting than a lecture I can say.


Then they brought us to Hotel, after having a shower, we meet again and went to a nice restaurant. Nice conversation with these young lecturers. All of them finished MSc, more less same ages girls and guys. One of them brought a manuscript with him and to check with me. We had discussed some on this manuscript, I believe in it is going to be a good paper after some corrections and improvement.

Then we back to hotel and get up early morning to go back to Surabaya. Of course these young lecturers, picked up us from the Hotel and came with us to Airport of Banyuwangi. Till the boarding we had nice talk at airport garden, they gave me some presents, I was embarrassed.


Boarding was completed and crossed checked was done! Ready set go…. After an hour flight we landed to Surabaya safely..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding Europe: Shrimp Harvest

Conference

A Warm Welcome